Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Thing Twenty-Two: LiveBinder

I created three different binders today: Classroom Management, Second Grade Science, and Color Schemes. I chose these three because I think they will all be useful in the future. Well, Color Schemes is just for fun- I think decorating my classroom will probably be one of my favorite parts of a new school year!
My Classroom Management binder will probably be the most useful, and one that I can see myself expanding on: http://www.livebinders.com/play/play?id=1017911

At first, Live Binders was somewhat overwhelming to me. It seemed like limitless information and I felt the need to rush to organize everything immediately. I do realize that is ridiculous, but I can thank my type A personality for crazy things like that. However, after I tried it out with my Second Grade Science binder, I became more comfortable with how the program works. I think making plenty of different tabs, or even many different binders would be the key. Starting with a really broad topic for a binder is what makes it overwhelming. However, just focusing on color schemes or just focusing on organization ideas for one binder would be very helpful. Now that I am comfortable with the program, I am very happy with it, and would definitely consider using it in the future. Although I am still a loyal pinner (on Pinterest), I like LiveBinder for teaching purposes as I can combine things from Pinterest and many other sources in one location.

I think the binders I have already created are great examples for use in the classroom. However, this could be used for a large number of other things:
I could make a binder of short stories, with tabs on topics. Then, students could choose a story to read from the binder.
I could place math activities in a binder, with tabs on different lessons, so students could choose which activity they want to do or game they want to play that day.
I could expand on other areas of science, placing experiments in the tabs for students to look through and help decide which experiment they want to do in class.
Clearly, there are plenty of ways to use LiveBinder in the classroom, and I may have a new addiction!

No comments:

Post a Comment