Friday, August 23, 2013

Thing Two: My Thoughts on Blogging

     I honestly don't have much experience with blogging. I have very much enjoyed reading other people's blogs in many different subject areas. Some I have read because I knew the author and was curious about what he or she had to say to the entire cyberspace world. Others I read because I was interested in the subject or could relate to the author. And some I read because I enjoy working in the fitness industry, so "taking my job home" is actually really fun for me, and researching by reading fitness blogs is a great way to do so. With all that blog reading, I have never actually done my own blogging. Once, I started one. I even started typing my first post, but it never made it past that point. Perhaps this is because I enjoy a more private style of writing. I do enjoy journaling in the privacy of my own notebooks. There is something appealing to me about pen on paper, like I'm doing something different in our technology driven world.
     When creating this blog, I chose "Mrs. K's 23 things" because I considered my future students. My second graders will most likely be calling me Mrs. K, as my first name, Callie, is not very common, and my soon to be last name (Kvartek) is a mouthful even for adults. So, Mrs. K it is. After choosing the name for my blog, choosing the design and the color scheme was a lot of fun for me. Then, I wrote my first blog post, which again was very simple- essentially one click and go. It was a very simple process for me, maybe because I have experience with online classes that use forum posts for assignments, which is similar to blogging, or because I have been working with programs like Microsoft Word since elementary school.
     Creating the avatar was probably the most entertaining part of the entire process. I started by attempting to create a female avatar that resembled me, with blue eyes and long curly brunette hair. Then, it got interesting. The clothing choices ranged from sweaters to see-through mesh tops. I ended up choosing a wedding dress, because I am getting married next summer. Right now, wedding planning is a big part of my life, and I am really enjoying it. I also gave my avatar a coffee, because I am a big fan of good coffee. Plus, with two jobs, wedding planning, being a dog mom, graduate school, and a social life (occasionally), I am a little reliant on my caffeine fix at times. I guess I made my avatar look somewhat like me because I thought of my future students again. If they were ever to read this blog, I would want them to get to know something about their teacher and what was going on in her life while she was learning to instruct them.

No comments:

Post a Comment